Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Imagine Earth without people

By Bob Holmes

Humans are undoubtedly the most dominant species the Earth has ever known. In just a few thousand years we have swallowed up more than a third of the planet's land for our cities, farmland and pastures. By some estimates, we now commandeer 40 per cent of all its productivity. And we're leaving quite a mess behind: ploughed-up prairies, razed forests, drained aquifers, nuclear waste, chemical pollution, invasive species, mass extinctions and now the looming spectre of climate change. If they could, the other species we share Earth with would surely vote us off the planet.

Click to enlarge

Read full article here.

7 Comments:

Blogger ordered-chaos said...

earth w/o ppl would be beautiful! and I tagged ya do somethin about it!

October 22, 2006  
Blogger damned said...

boooooo.
where ya been my friend?

November 18, 2006  
Blogger F. said...

Hey, I read an article of yours on Lahore Nama about books/bookshops in Lahore.
I'm desperate for a copy of Kate Grenville's "Lilian's Story". Do you know where I might find it?

June 17, 2009  
Blogger F. said...

Thank you, and I do hope you take up blogging again. Abandoned blogs seem so lonely. :)

June 18, 2009  
Blogger F. said...

I know what you mean. But blogging can help in getting away from the complications of life too. A small paragraph or so to vent, nothing "serious"--try it, I'm sure you'll find yourself blogging again in no time.

June 21, 2009  
Blogger F. said...

No, unfortunately I did not. Now I've got to take a trip to Bible Society. I hope it's there!

June 24, 2009  
Blogger F. said...

No luck?

July 03, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home