Wednesday, January 05, 2005

"[He] was made aware, not by logic but by his whole being, by life itself, that man is created for happiness, that happiness lies in himself, in the satisfaction of the simple needs of living, and that all unhappiness arises not from lack but from superfluity. ... he learned still another new and consoling truth-- that there is nothing fearsome in the world. He learned that just as there is no condition in which a man can be happy and absolutuley free, so also there is no condition in which a man can be completely unhappy and unfree."


"Why am I struggling, why am I toiling and moiling in this narrow, petty environment, when life, all of life, with all its pleasures, is open before me? ... I must make the most of my freedom, since I feel myself so overflowing with strength and energy ... Let the dead bury their dead; but, while we are alive, let us live"

War and Peace
Leo Tolstoy
P-267 & P-622

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home